The introduction of accreditation of Nuclear Medicine facilities could have the following benefits:
- To improve patient care by standardising quality of nuclear medicine facilities across Europe.
- Accreditation as a Training Center implies the fulfilling of minimum criteria defined by Syllabus Committee of UEMS/EBNM for teaching in nuclear medicine (physicians, radio pharmacists, physicists, technologists, etc.).
- It is a tool to improve the quality within the department.
- Clinical audit is required by the Council Directive 97/43 EURATOM and is the basis for accreditation.
- In some countries accreditation is necessary for reimbursement.
Why do we need accreditation of nuclear medicine departments?
García-Burillo A, Hilson A, Mirzaei S. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2012 Jul 24.
Clinical audit in nuclear medicine.
Mirzaei S, Maffioli L, Hilson A. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2011 Jan;38(1):3-4.